Our novel this term is Holes, by Louis Sachar
Using a wide variety of novels, these fun and interactive Tutorials develop Lower KS3 English reading skills and promote a love of literature.
We study at least one novel per half-term, analysing characters, plot, writer’s use of language and much more in order to develop the essential skills that learners need in order to be able to confidently explain how fictional texts are constructed by the writer and how they affect the reader.
It’s not all about analysis though! Promoting a love of literature in our students is something we strongly believe in. And in a world that seems to be increasingly filled with distractions, it’s getting hard to carve out the time to sit down with a good book and just… read. So learners joining these lessons will have a great reason to sit down and lose themselves in a fictional world.
Our live tutorials are a great way to learn:
- Small groups (capped at 10 students) meaning a lovely atmosphere and great rapport
- Student cameras and microphones are enabled so students can engage directly with the tutor and each other (encouraged but optional)
- Professionally qualified tutors with years of experience in schools and within Home Education
- FREE Certificate of Attendance with all topic tickets
- Live writing and feedback using Google Classroom
This topic is part of a two-year programme of study (there are four lower and four upper topics that cover reading and writing skills). Our interactive tutorials have been specially written to follow the National Curriculum, ensuring students are adequately prepared for further Key Stage 4 (GCSE) study.
- Students are able to join the programme at any time (subject to availability),they do not have to start in Term 1
- There are no long-term contracts and no joining fees
- Your child can join a topic that has already started (subject to availability) – just get in touch
- You can request a free trial to sample the teaching style and small-group atmosphere
Please note we do not make recordings of tutorials available. We focus on delivering the very best live, interactive lessons we can and we find recordings can dampen students’ willingness to participate.
Novels studied over the course of the year include*:
- Half-Term 1: Holes, by Louis Sachar
- Half-Term 2: Scary Short Stories (Roald Dahl, Edgar Allen Poe)
- Half-Term 3: The Hobbit, by J. R. R. Tolkien
- Half-Term 4: Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, by John Boyne
- Half-Term 5: TBC
- Half-Term 6: A Journey to the Centre of the Earth, by Jules Verne
*Novels will be confirmed nearer the time of teaching and this list may be updated.
Lower KS3 English lessons are for students who might not have had much formal English education beyond primary school level. They might benefit from this more introductory experience to analysing and writing texts that these lessons provide. A typical age range might be 10-12, though other ages are very welcome. Students can switch to Upper KS3 English lessons if they feel ready (space permitting).
I have been working with HomeEd families since 2018 and haven’t looked back! I studied a wide range of subjects at university including English, Creative Writing, Philosophy and History, and love being able to explore these topics with our students. Having ran a mental health training company, I believe student wellbeing is one of the most important factors for helping children succeed. I’m also interested in mechanics, music and all sorts of literature.
Joining tutorials is easy…
Step 1: After checkout look out for the ‘download’ link on screen and open it to access your ticket*
Step 2: 5-10 minutes before the start of the tutorial click on the Zoom link to access the class (please ensure the Zoom name matches that of your child or the purchaser of the ticket)
We strongly recommend downloading and testing out Zoom before using it for the tutorial. Your child is advised to use a computer, laptop or tablet to access the tutorial rather than a phone.
*You can also access your purchased download links via the automated email you were sent at checkout (check your junk/spam if you can’t find it) OR you can log into your Tutor Led Learning account and go to your downloads section.
It’s important to be nice…
We treat all members of our community with respect and expect our students to do the same. We will not tolerate any abusive language or behaviour towards either students or tutors and we may remove students who behave inappropriately from any lesson without warning or refund.